Friday, June 12, 2009

Patriotic Polka Dots & Ribbon Topiary How-To

Since Sunday is Flag Day and July 4th is just weeks away, I thought I’d better hurry up and share my favorite ways to decorate with red white and blue.

Prissy Plates Ribbon Topiary

Of course the always easy to decorate with look great with our striped red white and blue or red polka dot ribbon. Add to that our new in red and blue and you’ve got yourself some very pretty patriotic decor. So what’s that thing sitting in the red polka dot bowl? That is a little red white and blue ribbon topiary I made last year, and today I’m going to tell you how to make your very own.

This is such an easy project that you can make to match any occasion. So here’s what you need:

Ribbon Topiary Supplies

  • Styrofoam Ball
  • Dowel
  • Straight Pins
  • Ribbon Strips
  • Floral Foam Block
  • Cute Container
  • Paper Shred or Decorative Moss

First, insert the dowel halfway into the styrofoam ball. Be sure the ball is centered on the dowel. (You may want to paint the dowel beforehand to coordinate with your ribbon colors.) Cut your ribbon into strips long enough make a loop and be sure the ends overlap. From the inside of the loop, stick a straight pen through the overlapping section of the ribbon.

Ribbon Topiary Step1

Stick your ribbon loops into the styrofoam ball. Continue adding ribbon loops until you’ve completely covered the styrofoam ball.

Ribbon Topiary Step2

Place and secure the floral foam block inside your cute container, then stick the dowel into the floral foam.Cover the foam with paper shred or decorative moss.

Ribbon Topiary

And “Ta-Da!” You’ve got yourself an adorable ribbon topiary! Don’t you just love it?

32 comments:

  1. OMG! I love, love, love the bowls and plates. I have a plate and display it all the time, but the bowl, you can do so many things (the prissy bowl). For holidays, for guest bathrooms with bars of soap and towels, great hostess gifts filled with cheese knives and little trinkets! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of it, of course, as usual! I will have to try out making that topiary, but I'm craft challenged, so we'll see how it turns out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute and fun project. Off to Michael's I go....

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is really really cute...and seems so simple! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so going to make one of those topiaries. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staey's got me excited. I plan to do one tomorrow, to use with my Blue Star Mothers meeting! And I keep thinking about other holidays you could do these for - and to make as gifts - and the possibilities are endless. Thanks for a great idea!
    Becky Shipp

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project, I'm definitely going to try it. I also love your store, I can't choose a favorite item. I grabbed your button for it and added it to my page. I am going to have do some ordering soon. I work at a school and I know it's fun to have cute stuff to show off :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fabulous, I need to do this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are SO cute. I think my mom and I may try this project!! I just sent you an email I hope you got it! Also...i absolutely LOVE your Bible covers on your store site, what a GREAT idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE these - so cute!! Thanks for showing us - I'm totally going to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The topiary is too cute!! Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THIS!!!

    Please keep posting ideas/how tos like this :-D



    ...and I LOVE YOUR STORE- its SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! So cute!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. You should do a post on your tie ribbon wrapping, and I'll link to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tut, I do just love it and can't wait to make one! Found you from Today's Creative Blog, so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The topiary is just too cute...wouldn't it be just too adorable for Halloween and Christmas? Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE IT!!! Plan on trying it myseslf!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your creative side, shucks! I just love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! Can I ask how much ribbon did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  19. So Cute! And a great summer project for the kids! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my I'm so going to do this! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this!! Just blogged about how beautiful your topiary is on my blog!

    http://extraordinarywithin.blogspot.com/2010/03/ribbon-topiaries-diy-centerpieces.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im gonna make this for my Georgia's 1st Birthday!!! SOOO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! Just shared link on our Facebook wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked this post very much as it has helped me a lot in my research and is quite interesting as well. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

    Essays on Patriotism

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this is one project I could probably handle. Love it! Would be great for so many holidays or events! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is too cute!!!Thank you for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I featured you on my blog today - Live a fabuLESS life! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.